Planning ahead for a procedure
Undergoing medical tests or treatment can be stressful and disruptive to your life, particularly if you are having a major procedure. There are some ways you can prepare in advance that may help you rest easier and worry less. If you will be staying in the hospital, or if your treatment has a longer recovery period, you may want to think about:
- Special arrangements for children, pets & plants.
- Suspending your newspaper service, milk and/or mail delivery.
- Stocking up on necessities to eliminate a trip to the grocery store.
- Making sure your car's gas tank is at least half-full.
- Getting prescriptions filled.
- Creating a "phone tree" so one person can conveniently update family and friends about your condition.
- Organizing your household bills and pay some early, if you can.
- Talking about your desires regarding treatment and care with your family.
- Completing a set of Advance Directives