Statement of Principles and Recycling Efforts
Avista Adventist Hospital Environmental Statement:
Avista Adventist Hospital is dedicated to improving the health of our patients andcommunities we serve. As a responsible and concerned corporate citizen, AvistaAdventist Hospital realizes its obligation to protect & preserve the environment.
Avista Adventist Hospital will:
- Manage its operations in a manner that is protective of the environment and human health.
- Seek new and innovative ways to meet its environmental goals throughconservation, reduction, reuse and recycling programs and through partnering withothers in the community to safeguard the environment.
- Apply these principles to achieve optimal environmental practices consistentwith clinical excellence, organizational goals and financial considerations.
In an effort to respect and protect the Earth's resources, and to minimizeenvironmental damage, Avista Adventist Hospital will:
- Manage, minimize, and eliminate, whenever possible, the use of hazardousmaterials.
- Reduce or eliminate, whenever possible, the presence of mercury in hospitalsupplies and equipment.
- Protect the environment through a preference for products which containrecycled materials, are recyclable or reusable, and cause the least amount ofenvironmental harm during manufacturing, use and disposal.
- Use pollution prevention initiatives to reduce negative environmentalimpacts.
- Minimize the generation of waste through source reduction, re-use andrecycling programs.
- Conserve energy and improve the energy efficiency of our operations and makeevery effort to use and promote environmentally safe, cost-effective and sustainableenergy sources.
- Achieve efficient utilization of water and ensuring the sustainability ofthe water resources of the hospital and its surrounding property through theimplementation of standardized water conservation planning as defined through theaccomplishment of a function, task, process, or result with the minimal amount ofwater feasible, or an indicator of the relationships between the amount of waterneeded for a specific purpose and the amount of water used, occupied or delivered.
- Incorporate green principles into design, construction, and operationstrategies to minimize the environmental impact throughout the total facility life-cycle.
The Avista Green Team, composed of members from throughout the organization, has been established to promote practices consistent with our environmental statement. Team membership is open to all interested employees.